You have reached this interesting post as you might be among those who have asked the following questions: post office vocabulary word list with meaning? what are words related to post office with meaning in English? English Vocabulary for the Post Office? English Words and Phrases to use at a Post Office?
In general, ESL learners need to learn important English vocabulary related to post and post office. This post aims to provide a basic and essential vocabulary of terms used in the post office. The list compiles popular post-related words and phrases introduced in simple English. The definitions have been expanded by some important example sentences.
The main words associated with the post office are listed below:
- Cash on delivery (COD)
- post mark
- Parcel/ package
- PO abbreviation post office
- Post Office
- post van
- the Royal Mail
- snail mail
- sorting office
- sub-post office
30+ Useful Post Office Vocabulary Word List with Meaning & Examples
- Meaning: the place where a person can usually be reached, the place where someone lives or an organization is situated.
- Example: the two girls exchanged addresses and agreed to keep in touch.
- Meaning: a person or organization to whom a letter, parcel, etc, are addressed.
- Example: The addressee no longer lives here, so I’ve returned the letter to the post office.
Cash on delivery (COD)
- Meaning: sometimes called collect on delivery or cash on demand, it is the system of paying for goods when they are delivered.
- Example: The restaurant pays cash on delivery for vegetables and fruits, which the local farmers like.
- Meaning: a flat paper container, as for a letter or thin package, with a sealable flap, used to enclose a letter or document.
- Example: My father pulled a small envelope from his wallet.
- Meaning: a written, typed, or printed communication, especially one sent in an envelope by mail or messenger.
- Example: I got a letter from my nephew this morning.
- Meaning: (chiefly in the UK) a mailbox.
- Example: The cards had been stuck through the letterbox.
- Meaning: letters and packages conveyed by the postal system.
- Example: we did not receive any mail today.
Meaning: a large sack or bag or pouch for carrying mail.
- Meaning: an official mark stamped on a letter or other postal package, giving the place, date, and time of posting, and serving to cancel the postage stamp.
- Example: Hanna took a used envelope bearing an Irish postmark.
- Meaning: a small bundle or parcel. a small thin package.
- Example: His wife received the packet of legal papers today.
What Are Words Related to Post Office with Meaning in English
This word list includes some essential post office vocabulary words that you may use to talk about the post office and the postal service.
- Meaning: a thing or collection of things wrapped in paper in order to be carried or sent by mail. a box that is wrapped in paper and sent by post.
- Example: The parcel contained a beautiful white and lavender dress,
- Meaning: a person to whom money is paid or is to be paid, especially the person to whom a check is made payable.
- Example: The payee of the cheque must endorse the cheque.
PO abbreviation post office
- Meaning: an office or station of a government postal system at which mail is received and sorted, from which it is dispatched and distributed, and at which stamps are sold or other services rendered.
- Example: Emelia had to sign for the parcel when she collected it from the post office.
- Meaning: “mail” in the US is the system by which letters and parcels are collected and delivered.
- Meaning: a card for sending a message by mail without an envelope, typically having a photograph or other illustration on one side.
- Example: My sister sent me a postcard from Los Angeles.
- Meaning: a small or medium-sized road vehicle that is used to transport letters, packages,
- Example: Horse-drawn mail vans were substituted by automotive mail vans.
- Meaning: the sending or conveying of letters and parcels by mail. the amount required to send a letter or parcel by mail.
- Example: the book is available for $13.95 including postage and handling.
|You might also like:|
|100+ Words Associated with Hotels: Hotel Vocabulary & Catering Pdf|
|Amazing List of 50 Useful English Vocabulary Words for the Airport with Meaning & Examples|
|Best ESL Pharmacy Vocabulary Pdf: English ESL Pharmacy Worksheets|
English Vocabulary for the Post Office
- Meaning: a person who is employed to deliver or collect letters and parcels; a mail carrier.
- Example: The postman hasn’t been here yet.
- Meaning: someone whose job is to manage a post office
- Example: At an early age, my father supported himself by aiding the postmaster while continuing his studies.
- Meaning: a line of people found waiting to be served in the post office.
- Example: My sisters only have one simple letter to send, However, they find themselves at the back of a very long queue.
A registered letter
- Meaning: a letter that is sent by a special postal service for which you pay extra money. This ensures it in case they lose it.
- Example: Tom asked his father to send it by registered mail.
- Meaning: a message sent by telegraph and then delivered in written or printed form.
- Example: Helena sent me a telegram of congratulations.
the Royal Mail
- Meaning: the organization in the U.K. that is responsible for collecting and delivering mail
- Example: The government and Royal Mail are looking at alternatives.
- Meaning: letters that are sent by mail. This expression is used mainly by people writing e-mails.
- Example: My aunt still uses snail mail for paying bills.
- Meaning: a building where letters, packages, etc. are taken after they have been mailed and where they are then put into groups according to their addresses before being delivered.
- Example: My brother started work at a postal sorting office, then at a printing work.
- Meaning: a small post office that provides some but not all of the services of the main post office.
- Example: Sub post offices were not affected because they are franchised businesses.
- Meaning: a small piece of paper with a picture or pattern on it that is stuck onto a letter or package before it is mailed, to show that the cost of sending it has been paid.
- Example: Stamp collecting is a hobby that involves collecting stamps.
Reading Comprehension Passage: At the Post Office
Read the following passage and then answer the questions below:
It is Wednesday morning and Maria is all ready to go downtown. She has to go to the post office to send off a few things, pay two bills and send some money.
She bought a beautiful gift for her mother’s birthday and decided to send it to her in the post. The post office wasn’t very crowded and she was served immediately.
As her parcel had an expensive vase inside, the postmaster advised her to send it to be signed for. While she was there, she sent a letter to her lawyer first class and another to her GP second class. When the postmaster finished with her post, she paid her council tax and water bill.
On her way to the post office, she noticed she was out of credit and needed a twenty-five-pound mobile top-up. It was also time for her to top up her gas & electric meter.
The last thing on her list was to transfer money to her sister living in Majorca. As the post office has the Money Gram service, she was able to send money after providing the correct ID.
After she finished what she needed to do, the queue was very long with lots of unhappy customers waiting patiently for their turn to be served.
Answer the following questions in full sentences:
- Where is Maria going? _________________________________________________________
- What was inside the parcel? _______________________________________________
- Who was the parcel for? __________________________________________________
- How did she send it? _____________________________________________________
- What bills did she pay? __________________________________________________
- Could she transfer money at the post office? _________________________________
- Who lives in Majorca? _____________________________________________________
- How was the queue when she finished? ______________________________________
Discussion: Do you go to the post office? Yes, why? No, why?
Post Office Vocabulary Word List A to Z
- air mail
- book rate
- bulk mail
- canceled stamp
- commemorative stamp
- flat rate
- junk mail
- library rate
- mail carrier
- mail truck
- PO box
- post office
- post office box
- postal carrier
- postal code
- return address
- special delivery
- stamp machine
- ZIP code