Verb to be exercises with answers.
In the English language, verbs are a major part of communication because they describe actions, events, customs, states, facts, etc. The verb Be is one of the most important verbs since it is the most used verb in written and spoken communication.
Be Verb Forms, Simple Present
To Be: Present Tense: Affirmative Form
|First Person||I am||we are|
|Second Person||you are||you are|
|Third Person||he, she, it is||they are|
To Be: Present Tense: Negative Form
|First Person||I am not||we are not|
|Second Person||you are not||you are not|
|Third Person||he, she, it is not||they are not|
To Be: Present Tense: Question Form
|First Person||am I||are we|
|Second Person||are you||are you|
|Third Person||is he, she, it||are they|
is are am Sentence Exercise: Verb to be exercises with answers.
The verb “be” describes the identity, qualities, or conditions of a person or thing.
Complete each sentence with the simple present affirmative form of the verb be:
- The baby ___________ in the crib.
- You ______ ready.
- The candles _________ on the table.
- It ________ a good story.
- The boys ______ awake.
- My grandfather ________asleep on the couch.
- Amanda ______ in the shower.
- The cups ______ in the cupboard.
- The kids ________ at the skating rink.
- The moon ________ bright tonight.
be verb Example Sentence
Rewrite the following sentences to create the present tense by choosing the correct form of the verb to be in parentheses
- The little girl (am, is, are) pretty.
- I (am, is, are) busy today.
- We (am, is, are) tired.
- The toys (am, is, are) in the store.
- He (am, is, are) ready.
- She (am, is, are) my friend.
- They (am, is, are) twins.
- The flowers (am, is, are) pink.
- The dining room (am, is, are) very small.
- The vacuum cleaner (am, is, are) in the closet.
- The flashlight (am, is, are) in the pocket.
- The counter and the shelves in the kitchen (am, is, are) dirty.
- The ribbons in her hair (am, is, are) white.
- He (am, is, are) nice.
- The new oven (am, is, are) in the kitchen.
- The toy (am, is, are) on the floor.
- I (am, is, are) student.
- They (am, is, are) late again.
- We (am, is, are) ready for the test.
- I (am, is, are) interested in winter sports.
- It (am, is, are) easy.
- Your coat (am, is, are) in the wardrobe.
- You (am, is, are) taller than I .
- My brothers (am, is, are) on vacation.
- Gabby (am, is, are) from San Francisco.
- My roommate’s name (am, is, are) Sally.
- She (am, is, are) the director.
- They (am, is, are) in class together.
is are am Sentence Exercise
Complete the following sentences using the correct form of the verb to be.
|2||The windows ______ open.|
|3||You very ___________clever.|
|4||We ________ twins.|
|5||The cat ________sick.|
|6||Bill and Bob ______brothers.|
|7||The ribbons ______ red.|
|8||The clouds ________white.|
|9||The ladybug _____ on the counter.|
|10||She _______ my niece.|
|11||We ________ teachers.|
|12||It _______ a Spanish book.|
|13||The pc ________ in my room.|
|14||The kids _________ lazy.|
|15||The lady _______ happy.|
|16||The grass _________ green.|
|17||The tents ______ red.|
|18||The orange juice________ cold.|
|19||The flowers ______ white.|
|20||The fridge and the microwave _________in the kitchen.|
is am are worksheet
Rewrite the following sentences to express the negative form:
- The eraser is in the pencil case. ___________________
- The keys are in the car. ___________________
- The jam is on the table. ___________________
- She is my sister. ___________________________
- My neighbors are French. __________________
- The drawers are empty. ___________________________
- It is a nice park. _____________________
- The subway is full. __________________
- My sister-in-law is Scotish. _____________________
- Helena is pregnant. ____________________________
- The limes are sour. ________________________
- The girls are in the tent. __________________________
- We are busy at work. _______________________
- Her hands are dirty. ____________________________
- He is a teacher in my school. ____________________
- The van is empty. _______________________
- The students are early for class today. ____________________
- The windows are dirty. ___________________________
- It is a nice flower. ___________________________
- The oven is in the kitchen. _____________________
- My brother is at the office. _______________________
is are am Sentence Exercise: Negative Form
Rewrite the following statements as yes/no questions. For example:
- It is early.
- Is it early?
- Your van is in the garage.
- Anna is in a good mood.
- They are siblings.
- Suzan is depressed.
- Her computer is broken.
- There are many books on the desk.
- The tea is too hot.
- The city showroom is the oldest building in the city.
- There is a post office near here.
- The zoo is open on Thursdays and Fridays.
- The lights are off.
There is There are
In English, we use the word there with the verb to be to talk about the existence of things or people. For example:
- There are two bridges across the river.
- There is one kitchen in the apartment.
We should note that the form of the be verb is based on the subject that follows it.
- Singular subject: There is a show in the park tonight.
- Plural subject: There are six rooms in the house.
There is There are Exercise
Circle the verb that agrees in number with the subject that follows it:
- There is/are several parks in my city.
- There is/are a hammock at the end of the hall.
- There is/are a typo on page 5.
- There is/are someone at the door.
- There is/are only one possible answer to the question.
- There is/are a bank on the corner of Richardson and Mcsteven.
- There is/are twenty students in the class.
- There is/are still tickets available.
- There is/are a huge fountain in front of the park.
- There is/are many people here today.
am is are exercises worksheet pdf
am is are worksheet with answers
|You might also like:|
What Is an Example of a Subject Pronoun in a Sentence? + Best FREE Poster