what are some funny English words for students? What are some fun words to say? What are some cool English words? What are some weird English words? What are the 10 new words? what are some funny English words with their meanings?
In general, the English language contains about 490.000 words, in addition to another 300.000 technical terms. In written English, the most frequently used words are: “the”, “of”, “and”, “to”, “a”, “in”, “that”, “I”, “it”, “for”, and “as”; and he most used word in conversation is “I”.
The most overworked word in English is thought to be the word “set” which has 58 noun uses, 126 verbal uses, and 10 as a particular adjective.
On the other, English has a variety of interesting weird, strange, unusual, and wacky sets of words that are rarely used, or have gone completely out of fashion. These words might be incorporated into the daily conversation to add a more impressive but funny aspect to one’s spoken style.
Here is a compilation of some funnier kinds of English phrases and words, together with their meanings, that you probably never heard before.
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? Top 20 Funny English Words You Probably don’t know
- Brouhaha – An uproar or noisy response.
- Cantankerous – Bad tempered or grumpy.
- Pratfall – A fall on the buttocks or an embarrassing action.
- Anencephalous – Absence of a brain.
- Discombobulate – To confuse someone.
- Doozy – Something really good.
- Rambunctious – Uncontrollably excitable or exuberant.
- Lollygag – To dawdle or spend time aimlessly.
- Borborygmus – Stomach rumbling.
- Shenanigan – Silly behaviour.
- Skullduggery – Deception or trickery.
- Fartlek – A training system for runners.
- Gobbledygook – Meaningless or nonsensical language.
- Canoodle – Hugging and kissing.
- Klutz – A clumsy or foolish person.
- Lickety-split – As quickly as possible.
- Flummox – To perplex or bewilder.
- Crudivore – Someone who eats raw food.
- Mollycoddle – To treat someone leniently.
- Kerfuffle – A mild scandal, commotion or fuss.
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? 24 Funny Anagrams
An anagram is a word, name, or phrase formed by transposing or rearranging the letters of another, using the original letters only once.
The funniest and best anagrams are the ones that could link the new word, name, or phrase to the original one in some way, such as when ‘silent’ becomes ‘listen’ or ‘meal for one’ becomes ‘for me alone’.
- below = elbow
- A gentleman = Elegant man
- meteor = remote
- Debit card = Bad credit
- meal for one = for me alone
- Eleven plus two = Twelve plus one
- older and wiser = I learned words
- Hot water = Worth tea
- young lady = an old guy
- Vacation time = I am not active
- conversation = voice rants on
- Conversation = Voices rant on
- The eyes = They see
- Schoolmaster = The classroom
- act = cat
- The country side = No city dust here
- Dormitory = Dirty room
- Astronomers = No more stars
- the classroom = schoolmaster
- The Detectives = Detect thieves
- video game = give a demo
- Mummy = My mum
- A decimal point = I’m a dot in place
- Clint Eastwood = Old west action
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? 18 Funny Puns
Puns are a little play on words – a clever word joke with a double meaning. Puns are frequently used in literature and advertising and take advantage of words, or similar sounding words, with multiple meanings, often to create a humorous situation or joke. Puns can sometimes be created unintentionally.
- Shoes are required to eat in the restaurant. Socks can eat anywhere they like.
- Let’s talk about rights and lefts. You’re right, so I left.
- Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
- When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.
- A boiled egg every morning is hard to beat.
- Two fish are in a tank. One says to the other, “Err…so how do you drive this thing?”
- I went to buy some camouflage trousers yesterday but couldn’t find any.
- I’ve been to the dentist many times so I know the drill.
- Every day is a gift that’s why we call it the present.
- Being struck by lightning is a shocking experience!
- Without geometry, life is pointless.
- Do hotel managers get bored with their jobs?”
- Two antennas met on a roof, fell in love and got married. The ceremony wasn’t much, but the reception was brilliant!
- A chicken crossing the road is truly poultry in motion.
- Two peanuts walk into a bar, and one is a·salted.
- The roundest knight at King Arthur’s table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from far too much pi.
- I went to a seafood disco last week….and pulled a mussel.
- She had a photographic memory but never developed it.
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? 26 Nice Oxymoron Examples
An oxymoron is a figure of speech that uses contradictory words in conjunction, which means words that don’t appear to go well together.
A good example of an oxymoron comes from the debut album by English rock band Oasis, which is named ‘Definitely Maybe’.
- Act naturally
- Cruel kindness
- Almost exactly
- Alone together
- Clearly misunderstood
- Diet chocolate-cake
- Extinct Life
- Cool passion
- Freezer burn
- Good grief
- Exact estimate
- Living dead
- Awful good
- Minor catastrophe
- Working vacation
- Deliberate speed
- Near miss
- Passive aggressive
- Pretty ugly
- Sweet sorrow
- Festive tranquility
- Icy hot
- Small crowd
- Impossible solution
- Terribly pleased
- Genuine imitation
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? 27 Palindromes Examples
Backward or forwards? It doesn’t really matter when we are talking about palindromes. In fact, Palindromes are words, phrases, or even numbers that can be read the same way, no matter the direction.
Words Palindromes Examples:
Longest Palindromic Words
- ‘Redivider’ is believed to be the longest palindromic word using common English.
- ‘Detartrated’ is a seldom used scientific word.
- ‘Tattarrattat’ was coined by writer James Joyce in a book called ‘Ulysses’.
- ‘Aibohphobia’ is a joke term used to describe the fear of palindromes.
Names Palindromes Examples:
Sentences Palindromes Examples:
- Evil olive.
- Mirror rim.
- Stack cats.
- Doom mood.
- Rise to vote sir.
- Step on no pets.
- Never odd or even.
- A nut for a jar of tuna.
- No lemon, no melon.
- Some men interpret nine memos.
- Gateman sees name, garageman sees nametag.
What Are Some Funny English Words for Students? The 100 Funniest Words in English
The Importance of Learning English
English is the language of international communication. With the rapid development of the Internet and the advent of ICT into every aspect of human life, English has become the modern lingua franca; that is, the means of gathering and spreading information, and the way to connect people all around the globe.
Therefore, The focus has shifted, from learning English as a second or foreign language to learning it as an international language. But why learn the English language?
- English is also the favored language of the world’s major airlines and international commerce.
- Over 80 percent of the world’s electronically stored information is in English.
- Over two-thirds of the world’s scientists read in English.
- English is an official language or has a special status in over 75 of the world’s territories.
- English is the main language of international business and academic conferences, science, technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising
- Three-quarters of the world’s mail is written in English
- of the estimated 200 million users of the Internet, some thirty-six percent communicate in English
- Also, Speaking English has become more like a status symbol. All the companies are recruiting only those people who speak fluent and correct English.
Having a clear vision of how to start learning English as an ESL student is quite important. On the bestenglishpages.com website, we want to help learners to improve their English skills. Here, we try to make the process of learning English an interesting and enjoyable experience. learners and teachers of English will find a variety of engaging materials including lessons, worksheets, ESL posters and PDF, and plenty of other unique, useful, and high-quality content that cover many different categories, including grammar, writing, speaking as well as reading.
Leave a Reply