You have reached this interesting post as you might be among those who have asked the following questions: What are words and expressions for the summer? What are some summer expressions? What are the words for summer? words related to summer? What are words that have to do with summer? What is Summer Vocabulary Word List? Describe summer? if so, you have come to the right place.
In general, learning and understanding expressions and words associated with summer are of primary importance to language learners who intend to master the English language.
Here are some useful words and expressions with their meanings to use to talk about the summer.
List of Words and Expressions for the Summer: Meanings & Examples
- meaning: shelter from the heat and glare of sunlight; a place outside sheltered from the sun.
- example: It was very hot so we sat in the shade.
- meaning: a short sleep, especially during the day.
- example: my parents usually have a little nap after lunch.
- meaning: to become cooler after being very hot
- example: my brother jumped into the pool to cool off after lying in the sun for more than an hour.
- meaning: wearing nothing on the feet.
- example: the little girl walked barefoot on the sand
- meaning: a piece of equipment like a grill or a spit, or a fireplace for cooking meat or vegetables over an open fire.
- example: we often have barbecues in summertime evenings.
- meaning: to place oneself or be in a prostrate position in order to rest or sleep. The past is “lay down” and the participle is “lain”.
- example: my sisters lay down on the sand and went to sleep.
- meaning: sit or lie in the sun, especially to tan the skin.
- example: the kids didn’t do much apart from swim, sunbathe, and sleep
- meaning: to excrete liquid, perspiration, moisture, etc. through the pores of the skin.
- example: Soren always sweats at night.
- meaning: cause to be affected with sunburn.
- example: I got sunburnt but didn’t realize it because of the breeze
Air conditioning (also, “aircon, AC” or “A/C”)
- meaning: a system or a machine for controlling the temperature, humidity, and sometimes the purity of the air in an interior
- example: In this motel, there was no air conditioning, just a ceiling fan turning slowly.
- meaning: to travel or hike carrying one’s belongings in a backpack.
- example: my brother went backpacking around the U.S.A.
- meaning: to reserve in advance
- example: my husband has booked our holidays online.
|This post might interest you:|
|What Are Words to Describe Summer? 600+ Words That Best Describe Summer Time|
Words and Expression for the Summer: Summer Holiday Reading Comprehension
Complete the text with the past tense of the verbs in brackets.
Hi! my name’s Carlos. I _____(spend) my last summer holiday in a summer camp. The camp ____(is) in the mountains and it was fantastic. Every morning I _____(wake) up and _______(enjoy) clean and fresh air. After we ______(make) our beds, we _____(do) some morning exercises. Then we _____(eat) breakfast. Every day we _____(try) different activities: we ____(go) hiking and_______ (play) different sports. But most of all I____( love) the swimming. While in the camp, I also _____(meet) many other students. Most of them ______(are) my age and very soon we_________(become) good friends. After we_______( return) home we ________(start) writing to each other. I _____(send) e-mails to all of my friends. All in all, my summer holiday was very exciting!
True or false:
- Carlos spent his holiday at home.
- The camp was in the mountains.
- His friends made up his bed.
- Carlos loved swimming.
- Carlos hated the camp
Summer Holiday Reading Comprehension Exercise
1. Read the text carefully and complete it with the Past Simple of the verbs in brackets.
Last summer holidays Diego DeRosa and his family _ (travel) to Britain. They _ (stay) in London for three days.
On the first day they _ (enjoy) a full English breakfast at the hotel. Then they toured (tour) London on a red double-decker bus. They _ (love) the ride. In the afternoon they _ (visit) the Tower of London. They _ (wait) for a long time in a queue, but when they _ (enter), a real Beefeater (greet) them. Diego and his sister Camila___________ (pose) for a photo with him.
On the second day, they _ (watch) the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and they _ (pray) in Westminster Abbey. They _ (cross) Westminster Bridge and _ (look) at the famous Big Ben. At lunch, they _ (try) fish and chips and they _ ( like) it. In the afternoon the family _ (walk) down Oxford Street and Regent Street and _ (stop) in Trafalgar Square. They _ (rest) for a while in St. James’s Park and _ (listen) To an open-air concert.
On the third day, they _ (travel) to Madame Tussaud’s Museum by underground, but first, they _ (study) the map of the Tube. They (queue) up for one hour. Once inside the Museum they _ (look) around absolutely amazed. All their favorite stars _ (be) there. And Mr. DeRosa____________ (photograph) his whole family with the Royal Family!
2. Write True or False; then correct the false ones.
The DeRosa family travelled to Britain. ________________________________________
They stayed in a motel. ________________________________________
Diego toured through York. ________________________________________
The family visited some museums. ________________________________________
They didn’t like fish and chips. ________________________________________
Mr. DeRosa photographed the Royal Family. ________________________________
3. Answer the following questions:
1 Where did the DeRosa’s family go to for their holidays?
2 When did they go?
3 Did they like fish and chips?
4 What did they visit on the third day?
5 What did the DeRosa family see in there?