It seems there is some confusion about which phrase to use: laying in bed or lying in bed? a lot of people ask questions revolving around this uncertainty: laying in bed or lying in bed? Laying vs. Lying: Which One Should You Use? Is it laying or lying on the couch? Is a person laying or lying? Is it laying or lying on the ground? Is it laid in bed? What is the mean of laying? Does lying have two meanings?
In general, learning the meaning together with the main differences between laying vs. lying will have a subtle impact on deciding how and when to use these commonly confused pair.
As a whole, the difference between “lie” and “lay” is actually pretty easy to understand:
Is It Lying in Bed or Laying in Bed?
The verb lay has an object. The verb lie does not. “Lay” is a transitive verb; “Lie” is an intransitive verb.
To lay something somewhere: to put something carefully in a particular place or position
To lie somewhere: to be or remain in a particular place
To lie somewhere: to be or to rest in a flat or horizontal position
|Putting something somewhere|
Laying requires a direct object.
You lay something down.
|Being located somewhere|
Lying does not require a direct object.
You lie down.
Remember that laying and lying are the present participles of the verbs lay and lie. You can only lay something but you cannot lie it. Something can lie somewhere, but it cannot lay there.
Laying Vs Lying on bed Sentences Examples:
Let’s have a look at this example that will help you figure out the difference between these commonly confused pair:
- Julia is lying on the bed. This sentence is correct
- Julia is laying the blanket on the bed. This is correct
- Julia is laying on the bed. This is wrong
Laying vs Lying Sentence Examples:
Laying Sentence Examples:
- She is laying the baby gently down on its bed
- We are laying a new carpet
- Our four chickens are laying eggs
- The little boys are laying their toys on the floor
- Mom was busy laying the table
- The students are laying their dictionaries on the desk
- He is laying newspapers on the table
- Three pictures are laying flat on top
- His wife is laying her hand on his shoulder
- Samy is always laying her purse on the floor
Lying Sentence Examples:
- Peter was lying on the beach.
- Judy is lying flat on the bed
- The little kitten is lying in the sun
- My sister loves lying on her comfy couch
- The old woman was lying unconscious at the front door
- Emily was lying fast asleep
- Jasper was lying awake at night watching the rain
- She was lying ill for days
- The twins are lying still trying to sleep.
- Her keys were lying under the mat.
English is the language of international communication. With the rapid development of the Internet and the advent of ICT into every aspect of human life, English has become the modern lingua franca; that is, the means of gathering and spreading information, and the way to connect people all around the globe.
Therefore, The focus has shifted, from learning English as a second or foreign language to learning it as an international language. But why learn the English language?
- English is also the favored language of the world’s major airlines and international commerce.
- Over 80 percent of the world’s electronically stored information is in English.
- Over two-thirds of the world’s scientists read in English.
- English is an official language or has a special status in over 75 of the world’s territories.
- English is the main language of international business and academic conferences, science, technology, diplomacy, sport, international competitions, pop music and advertising
- Three-quarters of the world’s mail is written in English
- of the estimated 200 million users of the Internet, some thirty-six percent communicate in English
- Also, Speaking English has become more like a status symbol. All the companies are recruiting only those people who speak fluent and correct English.
Having a clear vision of how to start learning English as an ESL student is quite important. On the bestenglishpages.com website, we want to help learners to improve their English skills. Here, we try to make the process of learning English an interesting and enjoyable experience. learners and teachers of English will find a variety of engaging materials including lessons, worksheets, ESL posters and PDF, and plenty of other unique, useful, and high-quality content that cover many different categories, including grammar, writing, speaking as well as reading.